Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Feelings of Lonliness at the Canada Post Office

So, tonight I went to the Canada Post office to buy some stamps for our Christmas cards. I told the clerk I wanted two books of stamps for postage to the US and one book for international overseas. I mentioned that I needed them to send Christmas cards. As she started pulling the stamps out of the drawer, she paused and looked at me and said, "Don't you need any stamps for Canada?"

I replied, "No! I don't know anyone in Canada." As I heard myself say those words, I felt very bad that I have been here over three months and still don't know anyone here well enough to want to send them a Christmas card. That made me so sad and feel so lonely.

I muttered something about just having moved here, and left. On the way back to my car, I wondered if there were any other immigrants who were only sending Christmas cards out of the country and none within.

Now I am wondering what I'll be writing at this time next year. I hope I will be able to report that I needed to buy many stamps to send cards to all my friends in Canada. Actually, I'd be happy if I even had one or two to send because that's one or two more friends here than I have now.

Why is it so hard to make friends here? I don't know for sure, but I'll be writing about that soon as I have some theories.

No comments: