Friday, August 14, 2009

Accent Update!

Just a note to add to my previous post about how my hearing and my speech is starting to assimilate to the Canadian accent.

Last week, I was watching my favorite show, The Soup on E!, and one of the segments seemed to be making fun of a Canadian accent. They showed a clip of the current Bachelorette (who is Canadian) speaking a sentence with the word “about” in it several times. After the clip, the host made some comment, and I think he was trying to imitate a Canadian accent. The funny part was, I didn’t hear any accent at all! The studio audience was laughing, so I looked at Sarah and said, “I don’t get it. What’s so funny? Are they making fun of her accent because I don’t hear an accent?!”

As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I realized the significance.

The next day I e-mailed my brother in Michigan, who always watches The Soup. He confirmed that, yes, they were making fun of her accent, particularly the way she says “about.”

No comments: